Solidarity Water Europe invite all young people active in the water sector to apply to the 15th edition of the European Youth Parliament for Water, to be held from September 15 to 21 2019 in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia.
WHAT IS THE EUROPEAN YOUTH PARLIAMENT FOR WATER?
The European Youth Parliament for water is an initiative launched in 1999 by SWE to promote youth involvement in the water sector, both by increasing their awareness of water resource management issues and by fostering understanding of citizenship and democracy. During one week, international delegations of young Europeans meet to debate, exchange and take action on a specific water related issue. At the end of the Parliament, participants come up with a “Common commitment” declaration gathering Youth’s vision on the annual Parliament’s theme and various proposals to undertake concrete actions in their communities.
For more than 20 years now, Solidarity Water Europe (SWE) and its partners have been organizing throughout Europe 14 editions of the Parliament, with the objective to :
- Enable young people to acquire new knowledge on issues related to water, active citizenship and democracy and allow them to act as agents of change;
- Facilitate the participation of young people in the decision-making processes as fully fledged stakeholders, with a strong focus on river basin organisations;
- Inspire youth actions for water, at local, European and International levels;
- Strengthening young Europeans’ capacities to act, dialogue and be a driving force in the water sector.
The European Youth Parliament for Water is an initiative as part of a larger Youth Strategy developed by our movement wishing to empower a new generation of water leaders in Europe, to respond to global challenges and to contribute to build more sustainable and peaceful societies.
Solidarity Water Europe (SWE) is a Strasbourg (France)-based NGO born in 1998, in the framework of the works of the Council of Europe in the water and environmental sector. SWE’s mission is to respond to crucial water challenges that arise throughout all the countries in the European sphere with a particular focus on Central and Eastern European countries where access to water and sanitation is still an actual issue.
Solidarity Water Europe (SWE) forms a movement with the International Secretariat for Water (ISW) – based in Montreal (Canada) – bringing together citizens and organizations who are committed advocates for water.
The proposed theme for the 15th EYPW is: “the River basin: backbone of regional development”.
For the 15th edition of the EYPW, the organizers wish to address the theme of the river basin in its different components. More specifically, this 15th edition will focus on how the territorial unit of a river basin area can be a driving force for a shared and sustainable management of the water resources of the basin and for cooperation and development at several levels (economic, touristic, cultural, ecological or political for example) and how young people can contribute to a better water resources management.
SELECTION CRITERIA OF THE PARTICIPANTS
To build a cohesive group and ensure a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, candidates will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Associative or civic involvement in relation to the water, environment, climate or youth sector;
- Strong interest in issues related to the water sector, international relations, development, political science, environmental science, engineering, etc…
- Motivation and interest to get involved in the European Youth Parliament for Water’s activities in the long term;
- Being aged between 18 and 30 years old and fluent in English;
- Residing in one of the 47 member States of the Council of Europe (see here : https://www.coe.int/en/web/portal/47-members-states
FEES AND COSTS
Covered by the organizers:
- Local transportation
- Accommodation and food
- Activities and programme expenses
Covered by the participants:
- International transportation*
- Visa expenses (if necessary)
- Insurance (mandatory)
*Attention – For the following countries: Armenia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, France,Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Malta, Moldova, Russia, Slovakia, a financial support has been requested to ERASMUS+. If accepted, travel fees will be covered.
To apply, fill the following form. Applications are open until July 25th: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfsqJ1OgnhwY51_jY-kV-Md_EEWz-_7GhNsPw24m2sMVf9Gkw/viewform?usp=sf_link
For any questions, please contact Solidarity Water Europe: Anne-Catherine MERCURI, email@example.com /+33 388849314
- For more information on Solidarity Water Europe : https://www.sie-see.org/en/
- For more information on the previous editions of the Parliament : https://www.sie-see.org/en/project/eypw/
- Follow us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/see.swe/