The ISW will be presenting at the opening of the official Water Action Day at COP23 this week. The day of high-level dialogue, panels and action puts water in the spotlight.
The ISW will present Your Future, Your Climate (#TonFuturTonClimat) at the opening plenary session. The initiative supports three innovative youth-led micro-projects in West Africa that strengthen climate resilience.
The International Network of Basin Organizations (INBO) was designated by the UNFCCC Secretariat, as co-organizer of the official Water Action Day, in partnership with the WWC, IUCN, the French Water Partnership and SIWI/AGWA. The event will be organized on Friday November 10, on the Global Climate Action (GCA) Campus of the Bonn Zone.
The schedule is as follows:
- 10:00 am High level opening ceremony (room 2) – ISW presents #TonFuturTonClimat
- One high level Water Dialogue on improving water and climate financing (room 7)
- Three parallel Breakout Sessions :
-Water knowledge to respond to climate uncertainty (room 10)
– Water for urban resilience (room 2)
– Water for sustainable agriculture and food security (room 1)
- One closing plenary (room 2)
The opening plenary will be an opportunity to present the actions carried out since COP22 and the new commitments made during COP23 by the Global Alliances for Water and Climate (GAfWaC), composed of four stand-alone Alliances:
- The Alliance of the 360 signatories of the Paris Pact on water and adaptation to climate change in the basins of rivers, lakes and aquifers, facilitated by INBO in partnership with UNECE
- The Business Alliance for Water And Climate Change – BAFWAC, launched by the Carbon Disclosure Project – CDP, the CEO Water Mandate, the World Business Council for Sustainable Development and SUEZ, which has now 44 member organizations, including 30 leading companies,
- The Alliance of Megacities for Water and Climate, facilitated by UNESCO, ICLEI, SIAAP and Arceau-IDF, gathering 16 Megacities for a total population of 300 million inhabitants.
- The Global Clean Water Desalination Alliance, launched by Masdar Institute (UAE), which gathers companies and research and development organizations from 23 countries (i.e. United States, China, Korea, Japan).