The European youth parliament for water (EYPW) took an active part in the program of the last general assembly of the World youth parliament for water (WYPW) and in particular on the occasion of two key events:
1.A series of international dialogues on “Youth commit to water and peace »
This session, coordinated by the Geneva Water Hub, consisted of 4 dialogues between young water leaders and decision-makers. Hamik Barseghyan, as president of the EYPW, had the opportunity to exchange with Mr. Danilo Turk, former president of the Republic of Slovenia. During her intervention, she highlighted the challenges related to the use of water as a tool for political and economic pressure and the importance of reinforcing multilateralism and making the voice of young people heard in diplomatic discussions and the settlement of conflicts.
2. The organization of a session on the theme “the Global water quality challenge”.
This session aimed to allow participants to address the issue of water quality from different angles, including highlighting the main water quality challenges, sharing opportunities and platforms for youth engagement as well as stories of engaged youth and inspiring youth-led projects.
This session was coordinated by the EYPW and included interventions from :
- Andreas Steiner, Programme Officer at the Swiss Development and Cooperation Agency (SDC)
- Hasmik Barseghyan, President at the European Youth Parliament for Water, core team member at the United Nations’ World Water Quality Alliance (UN WWQA.)
- Ioana Dobrescu, Programme Officer at the Wetskills foundation, core team member at UN WWQA.
- Susanne Hagen, Project leader at Natuur & Milieu
- Fiseha Bekele, Lecturer and researcher at Hawassa University, Ethiopia