The 15th Conference of the Parties (COP15) to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) aims to set new targets and develop an action plan for nature for the next decade – crucial for the future of humanity. The conference takes place from 7 to 19 December 2022, in Montreal, Quebec, home of the UN CBD Secretariat and our organisation, the International Water Secretariat.
As ecosystems are an integral part of the water cycle, protecting them requires integrated planning and management of all water-consuming activities at the watershed level. The International Secretariat for Water (ISW) is committed to contributing to COP15 by making available its extensive expertise in this area, collaborating with its international partners, and taking advantage of its strong roots in Quebec, particularly through its membership in Montreal International and AQOCI.
In collaboration with the COP15 Collective, the ISW is participating in the organisation of two round tables.
- December 14th, 2022, 13:00 to December 24, 2022, 14:30
Water for Biodiversity: local and global experiences
Panel presenting the work of indigenous communities, youth and diverse water management experiences that have positive impacts for communities and biodiversity.
Panel of 6 partners:
- Mohawk Council of Akwesasne experience – Kayla Sunday (Mohawk Council of Akwesasne)
- The experience of the Quechua Cuchoquesera community in Peru – Vladimir Arana (International Secretariat for Water)
- Transboundary Dialogues in Central Asia – Laurie Fourneaux (International Secretariat for Water)
- The commitment of young people to the protection of biodiversity: example of Benin – Perpétue Adité (Un samedi au village)
- Mobilizing youth towards the United Nations Water Conference in March 2023 – Noémie Plumier (World Youth Parliament for Water)
- Challenges for youth – Michael Daoust – 1 million Youth Action Challenge (1MYAC)
Ce panel sera suivi d’un échange avec le public.
Multipurpose room (SH-4800) of the Sherbrooke Pavilion
200 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, QC H2X 1X5
- December 16th, 2022 de 12:00 à 18:00
LOCAL COMMUNITIES AT THE HEART OF BIODIVERSITY DEFENSE
Local communities are at the heart of the defense of biodiversity, everywhere on the planet.
The Association Québécoise des organisms de solidarité internationale (AQOCI) – of which the ISW is a member since 2020 -, Carrefour International, Development and Peace, CECI and the International Secretariat for Water, invite you to come and meet and network with representatives of our partners here and in the South.
On the agenda: Biodiversity. Wealth and Threats. Local Solutions to a Global Issue. Citizen Mobilization and Political Advocacy.
- 12:00 PM ABCD of Biodiversity – ARTIST PRESENCES and performances – Because Biodiversity is also artistic and cultural.
- 13:00 PM Defending Biodiversity – PARTNER PANEL – Because Biodiversity is a wealth AND a responsibility… collective.
- Mr. Mawusé Hountondji, Director, Young Volunteers for the Environment, Benin.
- M. Arona Diop, Director, Network of Peasant and Pastoral Organizations of Senegal.
- Ms. Wilma Mendoza, President, National Confederation of Indigenous Women of Bolivia.
- Mr. Benoît Croteau, Director, Territory and Environment, Abitibiwinni First Nation Council.
- Ms. Sadia Huaman, President of the Peruvian chapter, Association of Women United in Defense of the Environment and Water of Lake Titicaca (live from Peru).
- 16:00 PM Tasting Biodiversity – SOLIDARITY COCKTAIL – Because Biodiversity is protected as it is shared: Together.
Coeur des Sciences, Boiler Room & Agora, 175 avenue du Président-Kennedy Montréal (Québec) H2X 0A3
1MYAC at COP15
Biodiversity is a central element of the 1 Million Youth Action (1MYAC) initiative, which aims to highlight youth-led solutions from around the world. Several events are on the programme of COP15:
- On December 14 from 1:00 to 2:30 pm: “Water as a source of biodiversity: local and global experiences of the ISW”. We will present the project as well as the challenges faced by the youth
- December 16, from 12:00 to 1:00 pm at the Chaufferie du cœur des sciences de l’UQAM during the event organized by AQOCI, Carrefour international, CECI, Development and Peace, and the ISW)
- December 19, from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Montreal International Kiosk at the Palais des Congrès; in the heart of the COP15.
Broadcast of the film INTERACTIONS
INTERACTIONS – a film anthology of 12 short, never-before-seen stories – explores key themes such as the relationship between humans, climate change, nature conservation, deforestation, health, marine life, water and more.
The world premiere took place in October 2022 at the Rome International Film Festival. Under the patronage of the Convention on Biological Diversity, INTERACTIONS will be presented on December 12 at the reception hosted by Montréal International (by invitation only).
Participation of the North American Youth Parliament for Water
Erica-Lynn PORTA and Lauren LAWSON from the North American Youth Parliament for Water (NAYPW) are attending COP15 as observers as part of their collaboration with the ISW. Their insights will be important inputs to the recommendations that will shape the future of global biodiversity.